Halloween is right around the corner — are you ready? There are so many fun Halloween traditions. Do you take the kids out trick-or-treating? (More importantly, do you dress them up in food costumes?) Or do you dress up and have everyone over for a costume party at your place?
Whichever way you decide to spend your Halloween night, we hope you have tons of great food around! Here are a few easy ways to add some chills to your Halloween spread.
1. The details go a long way. Adding a little black and orange where your guests wouldn’t expect it will enhance the experience — add a ghastly twist wherever you can, from the cocktails to the decor. Look around your kitchen for black pots, plates, trays, cups and more. These dark dishes will be perfect to display various foods and candy (like our shrimp tray above).
2. Use “scary” fruit like peeled grapes, prickly pears, or finger limes. Incorporating unusual fruit will add interesting colors and textures to the holiday tablescape.
3. Let the Halloween spirit come alive with fun appetizers. Decorate your tables with hallowed small pumpkins, pour black bean hummus on the inside, and surround with toasted pita chips. Using the pumpkin as a serving dish is an easy trick to impress your guests.
4. Black-and-orange pairings are bewitching bites for a party yet simple enough for an after-school play date. Try orange bell peppers and black olive tapenade, dried apricots and dark chocolate, or blue corn chips and red pepper hummus.
5. Dress up your cupcakes by adding chocolate-dipped cones on top and transforming them into little witches; use cookie-cutters and make some spider-shaped sugar cookies dusted with orange and black sprinkles; or, dip pretzel sticks into white chocolate or yogurt, give them little faces to make them ghosts.
7. Every good party should start with a signature drink, and there are so many ways to make your drinks festive. Get the orange and black with black-salt-rimmed margaritas. Taking shots? Make orange Jello shots or turn your living room into a haunted laboratory and pour shots into test tubes. For cocktail recipes and inspiration, check out Amanda’s spooky spirits and more! If cocktails aren’t your thing, we carry an awesome selection of seasonal pumpkin ales and ciders.
Having a party but have no time to whip anything up? Check out our Halloween catering section! Stay tuned for more fun Halloween ideas.