For the holiday season, it’s always good to have a few simple appetizer recipes in your back pocket for when friends pop over unexpectedly or you’re entertaining with lots of bubbly. Find out how some ideas for dressing up this easy recipe after the jump.
To make these tasty little bites, I used our FreshDirect recipe listed below—it’s super easy and fast to assemble. While I like the simple flavor combo—creamy mascarpone and earthy leeks—I wanted to diversify the recipe a little so it’ll stand up to every palate.
For the first bite, I used a medley of colorful fresh tomatoes to add acidity to the rich flavors. If you’re looking for a premium bite (for your New Year’s Eve cocktail party), I chopped up crab meat and salami. For an extra flavor burst, I used our Just FreshDirect Olio Novello as the olive oil to cook my leeks.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 medium-sized leeks (white and light-green parts), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise, rinsed well
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 oz. mascarpone
- 8 oz. plain, cracked pepper, or rosemary crackers
What to Do:
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add leeks and stir, seasoning with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, spread mascarpone over the crackers. While the leeks are still warm, but not hot, the spoon over the mascarpone on each cracker and serve immediately.