With Summer in the rear view and the chill of Autumn slowly creeping in, our cocktails, along with food and wine, take a turn for the heartier. And as the first of our Fall “holidays” approaches, I present two Halloween cocktails for the occasion: both treats with no bartending tricks necessary.
Whether you are a seasoned Trick-or-Treater who refuses to give up the tradition or are gearing up to take the kids around, these concoctions should add autumnal flair to the evening and throughout the season.
“The Friendly Ghost” comes first and is a combination of Rhum Clément Premier Canne Rhum Blanc, Rhum Clément Créole Shrubb Liquor d’Orange, Regan’s Orange Bitters and fresh lime juice. The cocktail has a bipolarity to it: white rum and lime pulling us to the warmth of Summer while orange liqueur and bitters return us to the cool of Autumn in New York.
The Friendly Ghost
- 2oz Rhum Clément Premier Canne Rhum Blanc
- 2oz Rhum Clément Créole Shrubb Liquor d’Orange
- 4 dashes Regan’s Orange Bitters
- ¾ oz Fresh Lime juice
- Lime Wheel garnish
- Combine all ingredients in shaker, fill with ice, and shake well.
- Strain into martini glass and garnish with lime wheel.
Our second cocktail is about as Autumnal as it gets! “The Pumpkin Martini” is the perfect offering after dinner paired with pastries and chocolate desserts.
For this cocktail we are combining Karlsson’s Gold Vodka, St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram, Dolin Vermouth Rouge, Regan’s Orange Bitters, and Farmer’s Market Organic Pumpkin Puree. Karlsson’s Gold Vodka is potato-based and only once distilled, a richer expression of vodka perfect for this hearty combination of spirits. St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram adds the spice regiment essential for the cocktail while the Dolin and Regan’s offer complexity and length of finish.
Of course, a pumpkin martini is even better and more authentic with actual pumpkin instead of an overly-sweet pumpkin liqueur. Remember, quality ingredients make all the difference!
The Pumpkin Martini
- 2 oz Karlsson’s Gold Vodka
- 1 oz St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
- 1 oz Dolin Vermouth Rouge
- 3 dashes Regan’s Orange Bitters
- 1 tsp Farmer’s Market Organic Pumpkin Puree
- Orange peel and star anise garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker, add ice, and shake vigorously. Since we are using a puree it is vital to shake vigorously for at least 20-30 seconds. This will minimize separation in the glass.
- Strain into a martini glass and garnish with an orange peel. Twist orange peel with fingers over martini glass in a criss-cross motion then drop it in.
- Finish garnish off by floating a whole star anise clove.
This is a visually stunning beverage and an absolutely delicious end to your Halloween evening! Cheers!