Celebrate the first harvest and press of the season with Olio Novello, an olive oil made from olives picked off the tree early for their intense flavor. Our experts traveled to Sicily to hand-pick our custom blend with our friends at Manfredi Barbera, making a flavor combination you won’t find anywhere else. Watch the video to find out how it’s made, and what makes it so special. Pairing ideas and videos on how we sourced our olio novello after the jump!
Watch our video from the 2014 season to see Ken and our co-founder David McInerney source olio novello. Seeing olives turn into our olive oil is absolutely mesmerizing:
Bright green with a grassy aroma, our Just FreshDirect Olio Novello has a fresher and more vibrant flavor than your average olive oil, with a peppery profile that’s pleasantly bitter and full bodied. It will elevate any bruschetta, pasta, or pesto recipe, and stands up to rich, flavorful sauces. We love it drizzled on grilled meat and roasted vegetables.
- Drizzling on lentils or homemade soup
- Brushing it on swordfish before searing
- Pairing with fresh bread, mozzarella, Just FreshDirect balsamic vinegar
Get ready to drizzle and dip!
More on olio novello:
Ken shows us how to taste olive oil in the video below:
1) Pour into cup
2) Warm in hand by capping cup for 15-30 seconds
3) Smell oil (looking for fruit, spice, and off notes)
4) Take small sip, hold on your tongue, and pull air forcefully over the oil to vaporize
5) Exhale through your nose (assess flavors again)
6) Swallow oil to assess aftertaste, pepper-iness and bitterness