Did you know October is national apple month? And this week is apple cider week here in NYC! With this in mind here are some other ways to use those extra apples from the farm (instead of pie).
This is a cocktail is as bright at the fall leaves outside.
- 4 oz Apple Cider
- 1.5 oz Apple Jack Brandy
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Lemon Wedge
- 2 tsp Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Star anise (garnish)
- 1 Apple sliced (garnish)
- Combine all ingredients into a cocktail shaker
- Shake vigorously for 5-10 seconds
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar on a plate (or flat surface)
- Rim the martini glass with the lemon wedge
- Place the martini glass rim down into the sugar mixture
- Pour and enjoy!
This is perfect for those chilly nights around the table with great friends. It will warm you up from head to toe.
This is meant to be made in a large batch
- 64 oz Apple Cider
- 2.5 cups Apple Jack Brandy (dark rum also works).
- ¼ teaspoon Allspice
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 whole star anise
- ½ apples sliced (I used McIntosh but Cortland or Fuji are also great and add sweetness to the mixture)
- ½ orange pierced with whole allspice
- Add the cider, spices, apple and orange to a large pot.
- Bring the cider mixture to a boil.
- Add the apple jack brandy.
- Lower to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Garnish with a whole cinnamon stick.