Back to school means back to snacking… Hungry kids home from school tend to head straight to the refrigerator. Preempting their eating habits with a few fun and delicious snacks is an easy way to get them on the path to healthy eating this calendar year. But when stomach growls drown out patience, you’ll have to have key ingredients front-and-center.
Below are some foods that require next-to-no waiting, no real cooking, and usually no convincing. Find out your child’s food preference then make it easy to snack-and-go.
- For a Mini Mediterranean Mezze: Stock stuffed grape leaves, hummus, Snack-brand tzatziki, pita chips or crackers, radishes, celery, carrots, olives, dates and almonds.
- For Italian inspiration: Reach for marinated fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, fresh figs, sesame grissini, sliced melon, sliced sopressata or ham.
- For something toasty: Toast a NEW FreshDirect Sprouted Multigrain Hero with any of FreshDirect’s daily-made deli salads, like: egg, chicken, tuna or New England-Style Shrimp; toss a pickle on the plate for an extra kick.
- For something hot: Choose a FreshDirect Side in a Snap, like Whole Wheat Fusilli or Spaghetti- just add a drizzle of olive oil and some grated Parmesan cheese; or try Broccoli with Cheese or Creamy Mac and Cheese.
- For something instant: Good Health Peanut Butter-Filled Pretzels make a tasty treat, as do Clif Kid Organic Twisted Fruit Real Rope.
If your child is famished – looking for more of a meal than a snack, check out our eight new Kids Meals. From Chicken Teriyaki Dunk-Lings to Pun’kin Ravioli – there’s a meal for every pint-sized palate.