With the temperature rising, one way that I beat the heat is order our ready-made Marinated Roasted Half Chicken and microwave it when I’m ready for dinner. (During the hot summer months, the steamy oven is not my friend!)
What I love about roasted chicken is that it’s so versatile that I can make several different dishes with it.
One way is to serve the roasted chicken as is with a nice side dish. Our Facebook fans had some great suggestions (click here to read them all!) including:
- Potatoes: Garlic mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, roasted red potatoes, etc.
- Grains: Mac n’ cheese, vegetable risotto, Parmesan baked risotto, rice
- Greens: Crisp green salad with homemade dressing, garlic green beans, spinach, broccoli, kale, collard greens, etc.
Another way is one that my co-worker Jillian Q. from the Creative department shared with me. She and her husband love making a spicy green sauce (similar to the addictive sauces enjoyed at Peruvian restaurants) to dress up their roasted half chicken. Here’s her recipe:
1. Remove only the stem from one of the jalapeño peppers, then remove the stem and seeds from the other two. (Use only 2 peppers for a less spicy sauce.)
2. Trim the cilantro stems.
3. First, process just the cilantro in a food processor until it’s in small pieces. Then add the mayo, jalapeño peppers, lemon juice, and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste. Process until smooth.
4. To make it even smoother and creamier, add the iceberg lettuce. Start with a few leaves, and add more until you achieve the desired texture.
Lastly, I love making chicken quesadillas with our roasted half chicken (it’s perfect for chicken leftovers too!). Simply take tortilla or wraps and pile on toppings like shredded chicken, avocado, cheese, tomatoes, cilantro, onion, etc. Cover with another shell. I use my toaster oven to melt the cheese and crisp the quesadillas.