There are many times when I realize I love my job. Sometimes it’s when a co-worker will offer me a cupcake (or two) to try. Other times it’s when I get to interview food enthusiasts like Top Chef Masters winner Floyd Cardoz.
Recently it was when work involved trying lots and lots of delicious cheeses, butters and other products from Vermont Butter & Cheese Creamery.
Cheesemaker Adeline Druart walked us through all of the tasty products whose ingredients are sourced from local family farms. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about these artisanal dairy products crafted in the European style.
The cheeses and butters are great on their own with crusty bread. But to amp up your breakfast, entertain with ease, elevate your dinners or whip up a sweet treat, check out these easy tips and ideas:
- Parfait of Fromage Blanc with granola, fruit and maple syrup
- Light quiche made with eggs, Fromage Blanc and veggies
- Mix oatmeal, almonds, apples, honey and cinnamon with Quark European-style soft cheese
- Spread Mascarpone cheese on toast with berries or to make a Stuffed French Toast
- Use fresh Goat cheese in tarts, quiches, souffles and omelets
- Make a savory dip/dressing by mixing Fromage Blanc with salt, pepper and herbs. Serve with crudites, pita or salad
- Make a quick savory dip with Quark European-style soft cheese mixed with fresh herbs, garlic, cucumber, salt and pepper
- Spread plain Goat cheese on toasted baguette with grilled veggies and fresh herbs for a Goat cheese crostini
- Add Quark European-style soft cheese to bake, mashed or gratin potatoes
- Use Creme Fraiche in sauces for Beef Stroganoff, pork chops or chicken fricassee
- Stir Mascarpone cheese into pasta with roasted veggies or to make a quick Alfredo sauce
- Use fresh Goat cheese in lasagna, ravioli, stuffed shell pasta and gnocchi
- Make an Instant Fat Free ice cream by mixing Fromage Blanc, frozen fruit and honey in a blender. Freeze the mixture, stir it occasionally and serve.
- Add Quark European-style soft cheese to batters of pancakes, cheesecake, banana bread and mousse.
- Use creme fraiche in custards for creme brulee, cheesecake or ice cream
- Add a dollop of whipped creme fraiche on top of warm apple pie
- Use this rich Mascarpone cheese for tiramisu – the Marscarpone itself is so good, I eat it straight from the tub!
- Grill peaches and top them off with Mascarpone cheese and toasted almonds
- Try fresh Goat cheese in creme brulee, cheesecake, ice cream or brownies