Forget cramped restaurants, crowded sidewalk bistros, and hoping to score a reservation.
Instead, this summer take “eating out” at its worth — grab a basket, fresh fruits, and head out for a savory do-it-yourself adventure, picnic-style.
Not sure where to start? Here are some quick ways to build a picnic basket:
- Pick your favorite bread. Find a freshly made bread, like a sesame roll to start building your pièce de résistance, or if you have some time order a parbaked baguette and bake your bread before you trek outdoors for a homemade flair.
- Make it deli-cious. Layer up your bread with your top deli picks. If you find there are just too many choices, too little time – opt for the FreshDirect Deli Value Pack. This sampler pack pulls some of our staff favorite cold-cuts and cheeses. You choose two half pounds each of sliced cold-cuts and one half pound of scrumptious cheese and save up to 30%.
- Keep it Sweet. Seasonal fruits add natural sugars, beautiful colors, and instantly brighten up a meal. Raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries are all fabulous in summer. Adding whipped cream, makes for an instant dessert.
- Cool it Down. A light summery drink will compliment your meal. Choose a lemonade, tea, or a cool glass or water. Depending on where you choose to picnic, (a cozy nook conveniently located in your backyard?), you may be able to add a bottle of wine or a summer ale.
Not sure where to go for your picnic? Don’t let that stop you! Check out these idea starters:
- picnic areas in or near New York City
- picnic areas in or near Bergen County, New Jersey
- picnic areas near Stamford, Connecticut
Go ahead, make Yogi Bear green with envy.